Friday, February 27, 2009

Bad news, good news, bad news, good news...

Unfortunately I must admit an error in my earlier research. Bad news! The General Wayne Inn of Merion, Pennsylvania-- with its colorful history of Edgar Allen Poe, ghosts, and murder-- is not a part of our Harris history.

But, good news! My Chester County pal (thanks, Dan!) was able to ascertain the correct location of Campbell Harris' General Wayne Inn, and it was located in Frazer, East Whiteland township.

Now the bad news. Dan reports "This building has been abandoned for years. It has been on the market for years and once someone bought it and was going to convert it into a store front. Nothing ever became of it. I think it is in disrepair by now. "

But here's good news for those of us who live a world away. You can sit on your rump and still SEE the building that Mary Harris grew up in, and the home to Mary's father Campbell Harris and mother Jane Lee!!! Mary was born in 1811 and the family moved to New York in 1817, and it looks like the family lived here during that time. Here it is, and if you click the arrows, you can move around, get different views of the building, and take a tour of the neighborhood.


View Larger Map

1 comment:

  1. The minute I scrolled down enough to see half of her face, I felt I was seeing my Mom - around the eyes especially, plus the shape of the face. There is a definite resemblance!!! Seeing all the face makes it less obvious, but it's still there. Do you remember my Mom very much? I think that is probably why you say she looks familiar. More obvious to me since I knew her face so well. He, on the other hand, brought no such reaction. He's just interesting to me - not familiar.

    ReplyDelete