Wednesday, January 7, 2009

First photo of an ancestor pre-1900!!!

I have photograph envy. I am the caretaker of my husband's family photographs and there are a million of them pre-1900. I don't have a single photo of anyone in my maternal grandmother or grandfather's family before their marriage, and only a handful of photos from my grandparents' lives and my mother's youth. One of my motives in keeping this blog is that someone will stumble across it who has a trunkload of Hooper (and Harris) family photos.

Which is why I'm excited about this guy! He is John Harris (1789 - 1864), Mary Harris' uncle. John Harris is the younger brother of Mary Harris' father Campbell, who was born in 1781. He served in the Marine Corps for over 50 years and was the sixth Commandant of the Marine Corps. And this is the first photograph I've seen of a pre-1900 ancestor!

No comments:

Post a Comment